Monday, April 07, 2008

The Challenge Continues

How is your Money Mammals Challenge going? I thought it might be helpful if I posted a completed challenge sheet right here. Take a look and you'll see that our daughter is saving for a new pair of shoes. She's turning five and tells us (oh, about every five minutes) that she's getting bigger and will need some new clothes and shoes that fit her better. This is a bit of an exaggerating (she's doing just fine with most of her clothes), but her choice was pretty practical and she could use some shoes. $3/week (her allowance) will net her $12 by the end of the month. Enough for the pair she'd like.

We used to have a beautiful hibiscus plant that recently died so my wife is saving for a replacement plant - a new palm tree. We're lucky enough to live in Southern California and she's always wanted one of these iconic trees.

I have a good friend who has multiple sclerosis and I missed the MS Walk in which my wife and kids recently took part. So I'm saving to "Share" my money with MS. $80 is only a dent, but it will help.

For the month, my wife and I will be making a point to show our kids the money going into our clear "Save" and "Spend" jars for the month. I want them to physically see that the money is being saved and that's it's accumulating over time (albeit a short time).

Comment here to let me know how your challenge is going.